Our bold vision at Zalando is to be a sustainable fashion platform with a net-positive impact for people and the planet. Having a net-positive impact means that we run our business in a way that gives back more to society and the environment than we take. “Less bad” isn’t good enough. Guided by the three focus areas - Planet, Products, People - do.MORE is our strategy for positively transforming both Zalando and the wider fashion industry.
We stand by our corporate responsibility throughout the entire supply chain. We raise our standards, take the initiative and work with our partners to solve the most important challenges of our time. Because we want to lead by example, we will never ask our customers or partners to do anything we have not already committed ourselves to.
- By 2025 we have achieved our science-based targets to reduce carbon emissions in line with the Paris Agreement, including an 80% reduction in emissions of our own operations compared to 2017.
- By 2023, we will design our packaging to minimize waste and keep materials in use, specifically eliminating single-use plastics.
- Since October 2019, our own operations and all deliveries and returns have been carbon neutral.
- In 2020 we sourced 100% renewable electricity and reduced emissions from our own operations by 64% compared to 2017.
- In 2020 we reduced the amount of single-use plastic packaging per item shipped by 22%.
- 87% of our packaging was made with recycled materials.
Our customers are at the core of everything we do. We know they want to make more sustainable choices but the fashion industry doesn’t always make it easy for them. At Zalando, finding and shopping for more sustainable fashion will be clear and simple, ensuring our customers have the inspiration and information they are looking for, all in one place. Through new collections, we’ll make sustainability more desirable than ever.
- By 2023, we generate 20% of our GMV (Gross Merchandise Volume) with more sustainable products. Due to our progress we have decided to raise our target to 25% by 2023.
- By 2023, we apply the principles of circularity and extend the life of at least 50 million fashion products.
- Launching the sustainability flag in our Fashion Store to help customers find more sustainable items, and tripling our more sustainable fashion assortment between 2019 and 2020.
- Customers can find more sustainable fashion from more than 500 brands at Zalando. With more than 80,000 items, our assortment is one of the largest in Europe.
- Our private label Zign is fully dedicated to sustainability since summer 2020.
- We’re making it easier for customers to reuse and resell their clothes. In 2020, we extended the life of more than 340,000 products through our resale platform, Zalando Zircle.
Unsustainable consumption is stretching our planet’s resources to their limits. It’s time for a radical rethink. Thus, together with our partners from the entire industry, we’ll innovate, explore the latest technologies and use our pioneering spirit to make sure the workforce has the skills to thrive in a rapidly changing world.
- By 2023, we have continuously increased our ethical standards and only work with partners who align with them.
- By 2023, we have supported 10,000 people in the workforce by providing skilling opportunities that match future work requirements.
- We are part of the Sustainable Apparel Coalition and use their independent tools to assess our ethical standards. Zalando is the first retailer to use the SAC’s updated version of the Higg Brand & Retail Module (Higg BRM) to make sustainability assessments mandatory for brands selling on its platform.
- In 2020, we provided 1,355 people with skilling opportunities that match future work requirements.
Taking on Our Biggest Challenges
It has become ever clearer that the world is facing huge challenges. Every government, organisation and individual needs to act fast to support our society in overcoming them. The United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) reported in 2018 that we have only 12 more years to limit climate change. We need to stop consuming the earth’s resources at an unsustainable rate. We further have to tackle the problem of child labor and unsafe working conditions in global supply chains.
Fashion and e-commerce, including our own business, have contributed to these problems. But we at Zalando have a unique opportunity and responsibility to be part of the solution. So we’re ramping up our efforts to create bigger and more impactful change fast. From now on, we pledge to do.MORE.